Quest Engineering Solutions has the capability to perform IP (Ingress Protection, also referred to as Intrusion Protection) testing per numerous standards, including IEC 60529. This testing is designed as a means to verify that your product’s internal components are adequately sealed and protected from the intrusion of foreign objects, liquids, and fine particles. This testing is also designed to ensure that the product user is protected from access to hazardous parts. The different levels of the IP Test allows you to see at different rates of flow (liters per minute) if your unit will hold up to the amount of water being sprayed at it, and to ensure the unit is safe from intrusion of foreign objects (such as fingers, etc.). Quest can perform several IP Tests, such as:
IP Standard Codes
- IPX1: Protected against falling water Equivalent to 3-5mm rainfall per minute for a duration of 10 minutes.
- IPX2: Protected against falling water when tilted up to 15 degrees – Same as IPX1 but unit is tested in 4 fixed positions – tilted 15 degrees in each direction from normal operating position.
- IPX3: Protected against spraying water – Water spraying up to 60 degrees from vertical at 10 liters/min at a pressure of 80-100kN/m2 for 5 min.
- IPX4: Protected against splashing water – Same as IPX3 but water is sprayed at all angles.
- IPX5: Protected against water jets – Water projected at all angles through a 6.3mm nozzle flow rate of 12.5 liters/min at a pressure of 30kN/m2 for 3 minutes from a distance of 3 meters.
- IPX6: Protected against heavy seas – Water projected at all angles through a 12.5mm nozzle at a flow rate of 100 liters/min at a 100kN/m2 pressure for 3 minutes from a distance of 3 meters.
- IPX7: Protected against water immersion – Immersion for 30 minutes at a depth of 1 meter.
- IPX8: Protected against water submersion – Equipment suitable for continual submersion in water under conditions as specified by manufacturer.
- IPX9: Protected against fan jet nozzle – 3 degrees of protection by an enclosure against water jets, temporary immersion, and high pressure and temperature water jet. For versatile application.
- IP1X: Protected against solid foreign objects of 50 mm diameter and greater.
- IP2X: Protected against solid foreign objects of 12.5 mm diameter and greater.
- IP3X: Protected against solid foreign objects of 2.5 mm diameter and greater.
- IP4X: Protected against solid foreign objects of 1.0 mm diameter and greater.
- IP5X: Dust-protected – Ingress of dust is not totally prevented, but dust shall not penetrate in a quantity to interfere with satisfactory operation of the apparatus or to impair safety.
- IP6X: Dust-tight – No ingress of dust.
|Solid Ingress/ Water Ingress||No Protection||Unknown Protection||>50 mm Protection (hand)||>12.5 mm Protection (finger)||>2.5 mm Protection (tool)||>1 mm Protection (wire)||Dust Protected||Dust-tight|
|Dripping Water with tilt up to 15o||IP02||IPX2||IP12||IP22||IP32||IP42||IP52||IP62|
|Powerful Water Jet||IP06||IPX6||IP16||IP26||IP36||IP46||IP56||IP66|
|Immersion at less than 1m depth||IP07||IPX7||IP17||IP27||IP37||IP47||IP57||IP67|
|Immersion at depth of 1m or more||IP08||IPX8||IP18||IP28||IP38||IP48||IP58||IP68|
|Powerful Hot Water Jet||IP09||IPX9||IP19||IP29||IP39||IP49||IP59||IP69|